Charlie Southward, the founder of IGH Gardens, is a gardening genius. He grows lush and abundant produce on his half-acre farm in Long Beach, California, year-round, to donate to shelters in the region. In addition to his generosity with the food he grows, Charlie also teaches volunteers how to garden and grow food in their own backyards.
On today’s episode, Charlie shares his inspiring life story, his spiritual experiences as a farmer and gardener, and how he started IGH Gardens.
Corinne and Charlie cover:
- How Charlie learned his craft
- Charlie’s childhood with cooking and gardening
- How Charlie continued to grow food throughout his life
- Charlie’s sense of serenity in gardening, and how it anchors his life
- Timing, patience, and trusting oneself
- How Charlie came to giving away his produce
- What IGH gardens is up to today
- Charlie’s work as a back-stage caterer, and how that shaped his character through adversity
- How to get involved with IGH Gardens today
As mentioned, Charlie loves to connect with volunteers and share his skills. He also needs your help, and your skills! If you’d like to get involved with IGH Gardens, here is where you can find him:
Thank you for listening! And now, we would love to hear from you. Please drop us a line @latebloomerranch on Instagram, or via email firstname.lastname@example.org